October 09, 2010

Flatmate Suzie v3


One evening, shortly after I moved to London, I was on my way home from a fine solo dinner. Nichole + I had been talking about her wanting to come to London and I was thinking how amazing London would be if I had Nichole here with me. I'm no stranger to moving and starting in a new place by myself, but London is a very lonely place without friends, I've realized. Dublin was never like that. In Dublin, in Ireland in general, I could take myself to the pub, order whatever and be chatting away to someone in no time. Even if I were to be lonely in Dublin, company was only half a pint away. London is not like that. Mostly because there are few pubs with stools at the bar. It's all tables all the time here and chatting outside your group doesn't seem the British Way of Doing. Which is fine, it's their country, but as I said, London is a bit lonely without friends. So when Nichole announced her intentions to come to London, I was over the moon. And as I walked home, I was thinking how amazing it would be to have her Oh! Oh! Oh! and Flatmate Suzie in London with me.

Providence is a funny thing. Suzie arrived on Tuesday and will be staying in London for 3 or 4 months. London is about to get a whole lot better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's lots of awesome stuff to do in London if you don't know anyone, but it took me a few years to find it.

Stuff I know of:
Most Thursdays the Join Me group started by Danny Wallace meet in a central London pub.
There's a few weekly knitting circles (stitch 'n' bitch), and a bigger wandering one. But the on I used to go to near Angel has petered out.
There's a roughly monthly Pervasive Gaming night called Sandpit, where they play things like giant hide seek.
Life drawing sessions at LSE look fairly reasonable (but I've got round to it). Dr Sketchey's are more pricey, but look more fun.
There's a few monthly meet ups for SF geeks of various sorts (from general literary to specific media).

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot about Photowalks, and a new Monthly comic creators meetup, and few writers groups.