July 01, 2012

God Is Green

Author's Note: I wrote this some time ago but it never made it onto the blog. It has now, although it's a bit out of order. Enjoy anyway.

**********************************************************************

Of all weekends not to be in Dublin, this is the one I'll always regret. Not only is it Paddy's day, it is also the end of the 6 Nations. And not only is it the end of the 6 Nations, Ireland was playing at home, in Lansdowne Stadium. AGAINST ENGLAND! Who were going for the Triple Crown. Now, not knowing much about rugby, but that I like it, I am solid in 2 things. 1- Ireland plays stronger, harder, and more stubbornly against England when England is on Irish soil and 2- If Ireland score first, there is no force on earth that can stop them.

Tonight was no exception.

Ireland 24 England 8

What a glorious night it is going to be in Dublin tonight. I wish I could be there. And to be there under the biggest full moon in 18 years... sigh... I've got to start planning better.

Watching Dublin on the TV, knowing Lansdowne is less than 5 minutes from my home on Herbert Place, brought out such a wave of nostalgia, I nearly wept. Seriously. Tears were nearly shed, before the rugby had even started! I miss Dublin in a way I cannot explain. When I was there last, for Rob's 40th, I felt like myself for the first time since I left Ireland. When I landed, I actually leapt off the plane, so happy to be on Irish soil, and did a little happy dance. I'm sure those behind me thought I was mad, but it was a private moment of rejoicing and 'thank god'-ing and 'never thought I'd be back here again'-ing. Of all places I have lived, and let's just admit, that is a considerable list, Dublin is the one I've mourned the most. Dublin is the one that meant the most. I was happiest there and I am disgruntled that I can no longer live in my home.

Thank you, Bankers of the World.

So I am in England, as near as I can be. And I will always cheer for Ireland. I had no idea how staunchly I held that position until we were discussing it in the office on afternoon. I was asked who I was supporting and without even thinking about it I said: Ireland. I then went on to talk about Irish rugby in terms of 'we' and 'my boys'.

I may have been born in the US but it appears I bleed Green.

No comments: